Monday, December 6, 2010

BFA PAINTING SHOW; favorites :)

The BFA painting show was super. I was really impressed by the dedication and originality of the participants. There were a few in particular that really stood out to me apart from the rest: Ross Haughton, Haylee Heisel, and Emmy Knight.
I thought this painter was really successful and blending flat color with texture to create a sense of light and interesting space. I was particularly intrigued by the luminosity he was able to achieve throughout the painting, and even though he used so many different blending and paint application techniques his paintings didn't seem the least bit over-worked or busy, which is a difficult feat.
I was blown away by Haylee's comprehension of the figure. I love the way she could keep things painterly but extremely accurate. Her color was bold but believable, and she really built and texture and shape in a subtle, accurate way. They are very poignant and create such a strong narrative with so little context.
Emmy's work was very puzzling. It was confusing and compelling. Her large-scale work didn't appeal to me as much as her smaller paintings; there was just too much going on in them (especially the one pictured), too many opposing shapes and patterns and the color scheme was all over the place. However her smaller paintings (particularly the one to her right) were intimate, elegant little snapshots of unknown spaces with very specific colors and textures that complimented each other.

Overall I was very satisfied with the show. It made me excited to apply for the BFA program, which I did the following morning :)


No comments: